Student life at Tokomairiro High School
What we offer
We are a restorative school that follows the approach of a student wide curriculum that is both enjoyable, stimulating and challenging. Our goal is to enable each student to realise their potential and prepare them for a successful future beyond school.
The programme from Years 7-10 is designed to provide a balanced general education and a variety of subject experiences needed to make wise subject choices in the senior school. To help their transition from primary to secondary school, Year 7 & 8 students are in a homeroom setting with one teacher for several key subjects.
The curriculum in the senior school, Years 11–13, is designed to lead students towards National Qualifications at each level. Our students receive excellent preparation for University and Polytechnic courses, and are able to develop courses of study suited to their individual needs and ambitions through:
- traditional classroom learning environments plus new technologies
- distance learning opportunities
- multi-level, semester courses in the senior school
- accelerated learning (e.g. Year 10 students in Year 11 courses)
- alternative courses in English and mathematics at Year 11 and 12
- Skills Pathways and Open Polytechnic courses
It's our aim that all students leave with useful and nationally recognised qualifications, so we provide them with courses where they can succeed.