Senior Subject Choices for 2023
Senior Course Structure
Following feedback from students and staff, we will be continuing with our module programme next year, giving students much more flexibility.
The modules allow for more choice for the students, being able to choose a total of 12 modules for the year. The year is broken into two semesters. Students take 6 modules in each semester.
Students should think about what requirements they need for their future when making their choices.
At this stage, the students can choose any combination of modules. We use this information to write a timetable. In January next year, before school starts, they can make their final choice from the timetable offered.
Module Selection Information
In selecting a programme, students need to ask themselves:
- What qualifications do I want to gain while at school?
- What qualifications or courses do I need for tertiary study or the work I hope to do when I leave school?
- Does my subject selection have enough flexibility if I change my direction?
- Am I aware of any pre-requisites for subjects I wish to do later?
- Will I succeed in this course?
- Will I be appropriately challenged?
- Have I explored all my options?
- Have I spoken with my Parents, Teachers, Dean or Careers Teacher
- Do not choose subjects for the wrong reasons, such as your friends are doing it.
- Talk to your Parents.
- Talk to your Teachers.
- Talk with Mrs Ferguson (Careers)
- Go online to www.careersnz.govt.nz
- Go online to Otago University www.otago.ac.nz
- Go online to Otago Polytechnic www.op.ac.nz
- Go online to another training organisation that you are interested in.