At Tokomairiro High School, we follow the Schoolwide Positive Behaviour for Learning (SW-PB4L).
SW-PB4L is a school’s process for teaching social and behavioural skills so the focus can be on teaching and learning. It's a framework with strategies for achieving essential social and learning outcomes while preventing problematic behaviour.
Rather than a specific model, it's a compilation of research-validated practices, providing an effective system for:
- improving the social behavioural climate of schools
- supporting or enhancing the impact of academic instruction on achievement
- increasing proactive/positive/preventive management while decreasing reactive management
- integrating academic and behaviour initiatives
- improving support for all students, including students at risk and students with emotional behavioural disabilities
These are some of the principles used to guide decisions and actions when implementing SW-PB4L:
- establish school discipline as an instrument for academic and behaviour success
- emphasise prevention
- integrate initiatives, programmes, interventions and strategies
- coordinate efforts with a schoolwide leadership team
- evaluate continuously
- adapt products and activities to align with cultural and demographic characteristics of the local community
Contact us if you want to learn more about the SW-PB4L process.